Sunday, February 16, 2014

I figured out why I'm so overwhelmed this year!

Last week was a crazy one, for many reasons. However, somewhere in the middle of my madness, I did have an "a ha" moment: I cannot teach the way I once did; I cannot rest on the comfortable lesson, worksheet, quiz I used to give. Therefore, on top of being a half time literacy coach and a half time teacher, I feel a lot like a new teacher this year. I over-analyze lessons and next educational moves I want to make with my students because my brain wants to apply all this new learning of the last year and a half. I cannot unlearn what has now been learned.

For example, I was getting ready to give a quiz to freshman - a quiz that I've used a few times over the past couple of years - and just prior to making my copies, I gave it a glance. Each question seemed to scream, "low level learning." Ugh! Therefore, it went into my homework bag for extensive revision. It's currently undergoing "testing" (yes, pun intended) on my freshmen.

Of course, that's what all teachers must do - continue learning and working on creating richer activities and assessments for our students, however, this is not always easy. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment