Saturday, August 31, 2013

"Teach the Reader, Not the Book"

Ok, so this blogging thing...keeps getting down-graded on my to-do list. I don't want this to feel like a chore. I want this to feel like a place to journal thoughts, something I WANT to do.

I gotta quit feeling guilty about what I don't post and appreciate what I do have time to post!

Ok - now for a focus: After three days of training in what I'm fondly referring to as "Kasey's Klass" and four amazing days of learning at Lesley, one of my big "ah has" was "teach the reader, not the book."

Let's think about that for a minute. The last 19+ years of teaching students, I have taught novels, short stories, poetry, nonfiction. I help kids dig deep in books. It has taken me this long to consider the reader first and the text second - geez! Kids need the skills to tackle all kinds of text, and it is up to ALL content teachers to help them achieve those skills. What can help educators get there? About a million content area reading strategies!!! : )

It was not only cool that this understanding hit me, but I actually witnessed one of my colleagues go through the same revelation. At the same time she was speaking these words, "teach the reader, not the book," you could sense that a true instructional shift was happening.

Now, here's the thing. I've done all sorts of reading, reflection, discussion, professional development, etc. this summer. What I really need are some students to try this on. I guess I'm ready for fall! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment